Freedom from Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: A Personalized Recovery Program for Living with Uncertainty, Updated Edition (Paperback)
Nearly six million Americans suffer from the symptoms of obsessive-compulsive disorder, which can manifest itself in many ways: paralyzing fear of contamination; unmanageable “checking” rituals; excessive concern with order, symmetry, and counting; and others.
Freedom from Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder provides Dr. Jonathan Grayson’s revolutionary and compassionate program for finally breaking the cycle of overwhelming fear and endless rituals, including:
- Self-assessment tests that guide readers in identifying their specific type of OCD and help track their progress in treatment
- Case studies from Dr. Grayson’s revolutionary and profoundly successful treatment program
- Blueprints for programs tailored to particular manifestations of OCD
- Previously unexplored manifestations of OCD such as obsessive staring, Relationship OCD (R-OCD), obsessive intolerance of environmental sounds and chewing sounds
- Therapy scripts to help individuals develop their own therapeutic voice, to motivate themselves to succeed
- New therapies used in conjunction with exposure techniques
- “Trigger sheets” for identifying and planning for obstacles that arise in treatment
- Information on building a support group
- And much more
Demystifying the process of OCD assessment and treatment, this indispensable book helps sufferers make sense of their own compulsions through frank, unflinching self-evaluation, and provides not only the knowledge of how to change—but the courage to do it.
About the Author
Jonathan Grayson, PhD, is the director of the Anxiety and OCD Treatment Center of Philadelphia. A nationally recognized expert who has worked with OCD sufferers for more than three decades, Dr. Grayson was awarded the Patricia Perkins International OCD Foundation Lifetime Achievement Award in 2010 for his work with OCD. In 1981 he organized the first OCD support group in the country, to which he still donates his time. He lives in Philadelphia.
"This book is NOT JUST for OCD sufferers. Many of us have fleeting glimpses of being stuck in our minds. Jon Grayson's cutting-edge approach can help all of us learn to confront our fears as we learn to live in the moment." —Dr. Mehmet Oz
"Dr. Grayson... writes about [OCD] with the mind of a scholar and the heart of a healer. Anyone who is plagued with chronic doubt, anxiety, and destructive rigid social behavior should read this book, and listen to what it says." —Daniel Gottlieb, Ph.D., host of NPR's Voices in the Family
"Not just another self-help book, this is an actual course of interactive therapy that breaks the cycle of fears and ritual. Dr. Grayson's uniquely empathetic and effective approach offers readers the understanding and motivation they need to get well—and stay well."—Patricia B. Perkins, J.D., executive director, Obsessive-Compulsive Foundation